Thursday 31 May 2012

Rhubarb Custard Pie

It's rhubarb season. And we LOVE rhubarb. Since it's in season for only a brief period of time I cherish it. Since as far as I can remember, my mum would make this rhubarb custard pie each spring. Mmm. It's one of my two favourite pies (my other being blueberry glazed pie).

I was able to get my hands on a whole bunch of rhubarb from the farm this past weekend. I contemplated making a rhubarb crumble cake, perhaps a rhubarb galette, or maybe some rhubarb compote. But in the end I decided to stick with pie. Here's the recipe.

Rhubarb Custard Pie
(original source unknown)

Pâte brisée:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into 1 inch
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water



Preheat the oven to 450F. In a food processor, whiz together flour, salt, and sugar until combined.



Cut up butter, and add to the flour etc. Process until the mixture looks like coarse meal.



Slowly add the water while running the food processor, and continue adding until the dough holds together when pinched. Don't process for more than 30 seconds.


Divide the dough in two, and with your hands form each section into a disc. Wrap in saran wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. You only need one disc for a pie, so you can freeze the extra one and use it at a later date.

Pie Filling:
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
4 cups of rhubarb, cut into 1/2 pieces




Separate the egg yolks and whites, putting the yolks in a large bowl and the egg whites in a small bowl. Set the bowl of egg whites aside for now. You'll eventually use them for the meringue.


Whisk together with the butter, sugar, and flour. 



Wash your lovely rhubarb stalks, and chop them up into 1/2'' pieces.


Add rhubarb to the egg-sugar-butter mixture and stir until combined. It'll be a little chunky at first, but it will become more liquidy/custardy as it sits while you deal with the pie crust.




Take your dough out of the fridge, and roll it out until it will fit into a 8'' or 9'' pie plate. Trim off any excess overhanging dough, tuck the remaining edge in so it's sitting on the rim of the pie plate, then use the tines of a fork to press the crust down. I sort of just winged this step. There are fancier and tidier ways to finish your edge, but I'm not a perfectionist. I just want to eat the pie already!!


Pour the rhubarb mixture into the uncooked pie crust. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350F and bake for an additional 45 minutes.


Remove from oven, and allow to cool while you make the meringue. Turn the oven up to 450F.

Meringue:
3 egg whites
dash of salt
2 tbsp cold water
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar


Beat water, salt, and egg whites on high until stiff peaks form. Add the baking powder, then slowly add the sugar while continuing to beat the mixture. Beat some more until stiff peaks form. Pile onto the pie, covering the whole thing all the way to the crust.

Put in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the meringue starts to turn golden.

Et voila! RHUBARB CUSTARD PIE!


3 comments:

  1. Yummmmm. This was one of my favourite pies as well, of my Nanny's. I haven't had it in years - this has inspired me to give it a whirl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that when beating the egg whites for the meringue don't use a plastic bowl. I forgot and did that last week. disaster. Use a metal or glass/porcelain bowl that you can be sure has no greasy residue on it.

    c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call Courtney! I used the metal bowl that came with my mixer.

    ReplyDelete